Russia has become a leader in blocking phishing and malicious sites. The list is compiled by the international developer of anti-virus solutions, ESET.
The report on web threats for the period from May to August 2021 says that the world recorded an increase in fraud and blocking of malicious sites, with 11.4% of the total number of blocks accounted for in Russia.
The top five in this indicator also included Japan, Peru, Poland, and France. The peak of locks occurred in the second half of June 2021, when 5.5 million new malicious sites were detected daily.
The source countries of web threats are identified by the IP address of the blocked domains. So, most of them (35%) were located in the United States. This is followed by Germany, Canada, the Netherlands, and Russia.
Sites that fake URLs masquerade as:
- financial institutions, most often for banks (36.3%);
- phishing sites that simulate social networks and messengers: Facebook, WhatsApp and Instagram (24.9%);
- fake email login sites (9.9);
- online document and spreadsheet services;
- parcel delivery companies.