Analysts at Yandex.Advertise conducted a study on the theme of the New Year and found out what Russians want to receive as a gift, what they plan to give, and how they are going to spend the New Year holidays.
Key research findings:
- Every second person plans to buy New Year’s gifts on the Internet.
- 2/3 of requests for gifts come from smartphones.
- According to analysts, in December 2021, the number of New Year’s requests is expected to increase by 30% compared to last year: users will make about 140 million requests for the New Year, and 25 million requests for gifts.
- Most of the users dream of a practical gift: money, a new smartphone, household appliances, but only 16% want a gift “for the soul”.
- 74% of those surveyed, analysts of Yandex.Advertising, are going to spend the New Year’s holidays at home with their loved ones – with films and TV series.
In December 2020, users made 155 million requests for products from the category “Home appliances and electronics”, which is 29% more than the average monthly in 2020.
In December, users are actively making branded queries. In 2020, the most popular categories were “Household appliances and electronics” (40 million), “Clothes, shoes and accessories” (27 million) and “Household goods” (14 million). From 2019 to 2020, the largest increase in the number of brand queries in the categories “Cosmetics and perfumery” (by 52%) and “Products for children” (+ 42%).
Over the past few years, the popularity of digital certificates and subscriptions has been growing: in 2020, the number of requests for them has doubled compared to 2019.